Friday, August 9, 2013

The Very Hungry Human By: Karen Pilarski

Hunger is a basic need. We need to eat to survive and to grow. Everyone can recollect the childhood story of “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” By Eric Carle. The caterpillar was bright and colorful.  His head was red and yellow circles for eyes. His body was a lush green shade with tints of dark and light undertones. Although he crept around, he was on a mission to satisfy his hunger.  No matter what he consumed he was still famished. The illustrations were realistic enough to make a person have a craving to bite through a pie, sausage and watermelon.

I have been thinking about the hunger for success or some attainment of a dream. When the prize is won and bellies are bulging with fullness, why am I still hungry for more? The caterpillar ate and ate until he was stuffed. He took a nap in his cocoon and transformed into a beautiful butterfly. That is the ultimate change. He fluttered away as a happy as could be. Why when individuals are free like an airborne butterfly, there is a feeling of being stuck to the ground? I hear complaints from friends they are stuck in the same job, relationship or location. I’m also guilty of feeling trapped in something I have grown tired of.

When I complain about feeling grounded, I hear “be happy for what you have.” It is human decency to show appreciation. Similar to the caterpillar, there are changes that happen within all of us. The beloved item from ten years ago may not be cherished to the same degree.

What worries me is the feeling that I will forever be hungry for something else. There is something whirlwind and exhilarating about newness. However, it is comforting to know that familiar face, scent or location has some meaning to me.  

The beauty of Carle’s story is when people least expect it, transformation occurs. Like a blossomed butterfly, there needs to be an adaptable spirit within wanting the change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment